Home > Participants > Belarus > Joint Institute for Power and Nuclear Research - SOSNY


Belarus

Participants

The jobs have been created, the equipment installed and now we can earn money (Anna Kievitskaya, Acting General Director, Joint Institute for Power and Nuclear Research – Sosny, Minsk), 2012


(jpg, 28 Mb)

Republic of Belarus boarders with Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Russia and Ukraine. The total length of the state boarder is 2969 km. The territory of Belarus makes up 207,600 sqv. km.. The longest boarder stretches for 650 km. from the West to the East and for 560 km. from the North to the South. The Republic takes the 13-th place on its size among European countries and the 5th place among CIS countries on the number of population which is around 9 mln. 680,000 people.

The capital of Belarus is Minsk (in chronicle for 1067 it is called as Menesk, Men'sk). It is the biggest transportation connection point, political, economic, cultural and scientific centre of the country. Minsk is located not far from the geographical centre of the country and stands at the river Svisloch'. The number of population is about 1, 750,000 people.

Modern Minsk the biggest industrial, cultural and research centre is known for heavy industry and highly developed light and food industries. The city provides 27% gross industrial production of the whole Republic. MAZ vehicles and tractors "Belarus", machines and electronic computation systems, watches and cameras, fridges and other products are well know in many countries of the world.

There are 109 educational institutions including Academy of Sciences in Minsk. About 90,000 students study at the Institutes of the city. Minsk has got more than 200 libraries, 8 museums, 6 theatres, 22 cinemas, 54 clubs and Palace of Culture.

The only organization in the republic which specializes in nuclear energy is Joint Institute for Power and Nuclear Research - SOSNY (JIPNR). JIPNR is a successor of the Institute of Nuclear Energy of the Academy of Sciences of Belarusian Republic which was established in 1965. In 1962 a powerful nuclear reactor IRT-2000 was commissioned, in 1968 - powerful multicell gamma facility followed by other nuclear and technological facilities. The Institute developed a mobile Power plant "Pamir".

The Institute of Physics and Mathematics of the Academy of Sciences of BSSR was established in 1955. It was the first research centre specializing in physics and mathematics in the republic. At present it is called Government scientific institution "Institute of Physics of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus" and deals with laser physics (development and creation of new laser sources, non-linear and quantum optics, laser spectroscopy), physics of quantum size structures, elementary particles and nuclear reactions physics.

Belarusian State University provides training for specialists in nuclear physics. On its basis Research institution "Institute of Nuclear Problems" was set up in 1986. This Institute deals with solution of scientific and science-technological problems in the area of nuclear physics and optics (including research of parametric x-ray radiation, creation of new generation of ionizing-radiation and particles detectors), physics of fundamental interactions, substance structure, Cosmo-microphysics, theoretical physics, radiation technologies taking into account specialization area of physicists in Belarusian Institute of Physics.

The information was gathered in the web-site:
www.belarus.by

| Home | About CNCP | Participants | Projects | Partnerships | News | Training | Library | Photogallery | Links | Contacts |